Monday, December 2, 2013

November 2013 Reading Update

I love November. It's the month when the holiday season begins, families gather, and the weather (in CA) finally gets cooler.

This past month has been another decent month of reading. I don't post as often on this blog anymore, but if there are two things about me that have never and will never change it's that
1. I will always be reading, and
2. I always want to talk about what I'm reading.

So, if you enjoy these monthly updates, fear not, because they are unlikely to stop in the near future.



(This entire reading update is spoiler free and all photos below are courtesy of Goodreads.)


PROSE

The Bluest Eye - Toni Morrion

I've only read one other book by Morrison (Beloved) and I don't know why I waited so long to read another. Morrison's writing is brilliant. It's eloquent and complex and chalked full of symbolism. It's a book you could read five times and still pick up on something new and interesting. A definite recommendation.

Links: Amazon | Goodreads







A Tangle of Knots - Lisa Graff

I found this book off the NBA longlist for Young People's Literature and found it quite enjoyable. It's not my favorite nominee that I've read but I liked all the intertwining storylines. The main premise is that you get one talent in your life, no matter how mundane. Your talent could be tying knots or baking cakes. Anything's better than having no talent. Enjoyable book. Also, there are cake recipes inside.

Links: Amazon | Goodreads






Picture Me Gone - Meg Rosoff


Meg Rosoff's book, to put it simply, is about the way adults lie to children. I liked this book quite a lot and found it to be very endearing. Definite recommendation to both children and adults.

Links: Amazon | Goodreads








If I Stay - Gayle Forman


If I Stay is a YA book with a unique premise. This book is all about individual willpower and strength and understanding yourself as individual aside from friends, boyfriends, or family. It's a true YA novel with a plot that will keep you reading.

Links: Amazon | Goodreads







Why We Broke Up - Daniel Handler


This book has been on my to-read list for quite some time. I'm happy to finally check it off that list. I actually really liked the unique format of this story of a girl who has recently suffered heartbreak. The story isn't terribly unique, but the way it's told, you will remind you of your first heartbreak.

Links: Amazon | Goodreads







Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them & Quidditch Through the Ages - JK Rowling (reread)


These Harry Potter companion books are incredibly enjoyable to read (even for the second time). If you are a fan of the Harry Potter book series then you will love these two as well.

Link: Amazon | Goodreads







GRAPHIC NOVELS/COMICS



Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8-10 - Brian K. Vaughan


Finally done with this comic series about the last living man after an epidemic hits Earth! Sigh. Brian Vaughan...you devilish bastard. I won't spoil anything about this series other than saying that it's a pretty great one.

Link: Goodreads





Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search Part 3 - Gene Luen Yang


Overall, this 3 part series about the search for Zuko's mom has been disappointing. Of the 3 this is undoubtedly the best one (though still not great). I will continue to read these installments by Yang due to nostalgia for the TV series.

Links: Amazon | Goodreads







Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 10-11 - Robico


I'm not normally a huge manga-consumer, but I find myself quite enamored by this series. There are many real moments in this series that captures my attention in ways that prose can't. Very poetic at times.

Link: Goodreads






The Unwritten, Vol. 1 - Mike Carey, Peter Gross


After finish the Y series I had to start a new one and decided on The Unwritten. I've only read the first volume, but I like it so far. It's about fiction, storytelling, and...magic? I love all of those things so I have high hopes for this series. It's been decent so far.

Links: Amazon | Goodreads







I can't believe November is over. The first half of this year went by at a decent (slow) pace, but these last 6 months have just been flying by. 2013 has turned out to be a pretty great year, but I'm excited for the future and what it holds.

Also, since Black Friday was just last week and today is Cyber Monday, I utilized (will be utitlizing) many book deals. Look for a book haul in the next couple weeks once they all arrive.

I hope everyone who celebrated had a great holiday.
Even though Thanksgiving is over, I want to quickly say (again) my thanks in writing. I am very grateful for the people in my life. I have a warm and loving family (both immediate and extended) and I was beyond delighted to see all of them this past weekend. I am thankful for the friends who have stuck by with me through the years. I'm bad at keeping in touch, so those of you who I still talk to, you mean very much to me. And thanks you to you, you clever boy.
Though I complain about this a lot, I am very thankful for the job I have with decent, kind people who are constantly thanking me and telling me how helpful I am.
Thank you to those who still read this blog. I'm amazed every time I return to this page how many people continue to read.

I'm going to end this now before I get even more mushy.


December is here! Time for the winter holidays to commence~


No comments:

Post a Comment