Thursday, August 1, 2013

June & July 2013 Reading Update

So..I skipped my June Reading Update. Not intentionally. About a week into July I realized my mishap, shrugged (the chaos of June didn't allow much reading) and decided I'd just do a collective one for both months.

I've been trying to take charge with my dreams and passions lately and that, in itself, is a full time job. I still squeeze in time for reading, but it's not as much as I was reading before. You can't win at everything, right? Right? Wrong. I try anyway.

Anyway, if you read my May Reading Update then you know I started getting into more graphic novels/comics/manage/etc. I've definitely been incorporating more of that into my reading lately. It's just fun to experience different methods of storytelling. Prose, however, will always be my first and truest love.

On to the reading update!

(The usual: books listed in the order finished, blah blah blah, use links as needed)
*all images below are courtesy of Goodreads


The Realm of Possibility - David Levithan


I read this per recommendation from a close friend. It's one of those books told (not through prose) from different perspectives as you slowly realize how the stories intertwine. Maybe I'm getting slightly tired of those (the idea that the connection is interesting enough to substitute for a moving plot) but I wasn't impressed with this. There were sections that I really liked but, overall, it was just okay. It deserves a second read- someday.

Links: Amazon | Goodreads




Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher


YA book about a girl who committed suicide and left behind audio tapes for 13 people who are supposedly involved in her decision to finally off herself. Interesting, unique premise. It had some touching moments. Overall, I didn't love it, but not bad.

Links: Amazon | Goodreads






The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1 - Neil Gaiman


I've actually been working on this one for the past several months. Great story. Very, engaging. Probably my favorite of the comics I've read so far. Definitely will be continuing.

Links: Amazon | Goodreads







Attachments - Rainbow Rowell


My second Rainbow Rowell book this year! Very different from Eleanor & Park. Overall, I enjoyed this book quite a lot. I had trouble liking the Lincoln character at first. He was a little too unmotivated and slightly stalker-creepy. But I grew to like him. The other characters were likable and realistic as well. Good book overall.

Links: Amazon | Goodreads





Fables: Legends In Exile - Bill Willingham


I have been meaning to pick up on this comic for several years now. So in my uprising interest in the genre, I picked it up from the library. I like it so far. It's not earth-shattering, but I enjoyed it. I like fairy tales so all the references are fun for me. Will be continuing this series.

Links: Amazon | Goodreads






Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise (Parts 1, 2, & 3)- Gene Luen Yang, et al


Huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender here! When I watched the season finale I cried in anguish at the unfinished storyline. I wasn't initially interested in reading these comics that followed the series, but in nostalgic mode I decided to pick up this series. A tad on the disappointing side, but I still love the characters enough to keep reading.

Links: Amazon | Goodreads





How to Save a Life - Sara Zarr

A book with two perspectives- one of a fatherless girl, the other a pregnant girl giving her baby up to adoption. I think the story is supposed to be about death and life, and I feel slightly guilty for saying this, but I thought the whole thing was lacking of feeling. I didn't like any of the characters. I didn't care for the dead father or the romance or nearly any of it. I finished it because, as I've said many times, I'm not a quitter. I like to give books a chance before I judge. It wasn't horrible- I just wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

Links: Amazon | Goodreads




Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search (Parts 1 & 2) - Gene Luen Yang, et al


I read this following Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise. Still a bit disappointing. But I'm waiting for the release of Part 3 before I make my final judgements. Don't let me down!

Links: Amazon | Goodreads







Robot Dreams - Sara Varon


A graphic novel (all pictures, no words) about friendship. Not much to say other than it was rather touching. I picked it up on a whim when I was at my local library. The title and cover got me. I had to read it twice.

Links: Amazon | Goodreads







The Ocean At the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman

What can I say? It's Gaiman. I was actually able to attend one of his US Tour dates and see him in person. He is an amazing writer and, if you can believe it, an even more amazing man. So funny and charismatic- absolutely grateful and kind to all his readers. About The Ocean at the End of the Lane, I enjoyed it a lot. I think this book has some of the best uses of imagery in all of his that I have read. I cringed. I hid beneath my blankets. I teared up. Get ready to feel.

Links: Amazon | Goodreads





Tonoharu, Part 1 - Lars Martinson


A graphic novel about an American who goes to teach English in Japan. Very "meh." Art is fine. Story is slow and all together not very inspriring or special. I didn't care for the lead guy, though I did feel slightly sympathetic for how alienated he felt. But for a guy willing to go overseas alone and seek this new life, he's incredibly dull. Will I read Part 2? Not any time soon.

Links: Amazon | Goodreads





Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

I took quite a while to finish this book, but not because it wasn't great (because, let me tell you, it was one of the craftiest books I have read in a long time.) Story wise, it's a suspense thriller, not my typical genre. But the writing is just so damn amazing. It's so good that I kept experience major green-eyed writer's envy reading it, I kept wanting to stop. Laugh if you want, but it's true. The writing is just that good. But I couldn't put it down for long. You can't tell, but I'm bowing down to Gillian Flynn right now.

Links: Amazon | Goodreads




And now for the Book of the Month(s)...



Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl

I will read anything this woman writes. The book was greatly crafted. So much detail. Great, believable characters. If Flynn wants you to feel for someone, you will feel for them- there is no other option. That is just how great of a artist she is.


I apologize again for the delayed reading update.
I hope this was enjoyable. Waiting at least allowed a greater collection to talk about!


What have you read these past two months?
Any favorites I should take note of and pick up immediately? Please let me know. I am a huge book hoarder. :)


4 comments:

  1. ^^ Will definitely be getting "Gone Girl" if it has your praises. I am still tempted to read "Thirteen Reasons Why." I like the inclusion of graphic novels, hope to see more next update.

    I don't think I've read anything since my 'no buy' declaration. . . I still would recommend "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" though I wonder how hit/miss my recommendations have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hit/misses are bound to happen. I think mine have been that way for you too. :P

      After raving to my sister about Gone Girl I let her read my copy. So you can have mine after her?

      Thirteen Reasons Why wasn't bad. You might get more out of it than me.

      Delete
  2. I liked Gone Girl a lot but I really hated the ending! I'd recommend Alex Marwood: The Wicked Girls. Really good page-turner! I really want to read that Neil Gaiman book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- of all the endings I pictured while reading Gone Girl, I did not picture the one that actually happened. My initial reaction was "whut?! No way. That can't be how it really ends." But I at least enjoyed that it unpredictable. :P

      I tried to find The Wicked Girls at my library. No such luck. Guess I'll just have to purchase it.

      Delete